9/13/2005

NRA joins the chorus

Also on Monday, the NRA saw which way the gun-rights crowd was running and got out in front.

In their press release, chief lobbyist Chris Cox declared, "The NRA will not stand idly by while guns are confiscated from law-abiding people who’re trying to defend themselves," he said. He added, "We’re exploring every legal option available to protect the rights of lawful people in New Orleans..."

Hmmm. The confiscation policy was announced on Thursday, the television images of people being disarmed came flowing in on Friday, and on Monday we hear that NRA is exploring legal options. Talk about rapid response.

OTOH, NRA does have the resources to make a difference if they choose to apply them, and while I can react more quickly, all I can do is draw cartoons. At least I have to give them credit for coming out on the right side of this issue, however belatedly.

I'm an NRA member, partly because most of the better gun clubs require NRA membership to be in their clubs, partly because NRA does more than anyone else I know to promote shooting sports and responsible gun handling skills among younger people, and partly to give me bitching rights. I'll be watching them to see what "legal options" they come up with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home